Beginner Friendly Open Source Projects
Some new folks at the Girl Develop It Pittsburgh code and coffee tonight were asking me for recommendations about open source projects to contribute to. I did not have a good answer, so I asked twitter.
Here are some helpful results that came up. Thanks to the people that responded! If you have some other resources or projects you think should be on the list, please comment on this issue.
OpenHatch is a non-profit dedicated to matching prospective free software contributors with communities, tools, and education.
- Site: https://openhatch.org/
- Beginners should probably try out bite size bugs
Growstuff is an open source/open data project to create a website for food gardeners.
- Site: http://growstuff.org/
- Repository: https://github.com/Growstuff/growstuff
- Languages: Ruby on Rails (see their wiki for full list)
- Newbie Guide
Dreamwidth Studios is an Open Source social networking, content management, and personal publishing platform.
- Site: http://www.dreamwidth.org/
- Repositories: https://github.com/dreamwidth/
- Dev getting started
Django is a high-level Python Web framework that encourages rapid development and clean, pragmatic design.
- Site: https://www.djangoproject.com/
- Repository: https://github.com/django/django
- Languages: Python